Did you know that heart disease is the leading cause of death in America? It contributes to more than 17 million deaths each year, and the number is expected to rise to 23.6 million deaths by 2030. The good news is that heart disease is preventable! You can improve your heart health in a number of ways:
- Eat well- include a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, legumes, poultry, fish, low fat dairy, and good fats such as nuts, seeds, and avocados in your diet.
- Exercise- set goal of 150 minutes of activity per week.
- Maintain a healthy weight- aim for a body mass index (BMI) of 18.5-24.9.
- Avoid tobacco products, including secondhand smoke.
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Manage stress and connect with others.
Are you interested in learning more about ways to keep your heart healthy? Please join us for an American Heart Health Event on Friday, February 16th from 2:30-3:30 pm. Stop by to sample delicious heart healthy recipes and speak with our dietitian, Ben Mohr.